Sunday, January 20, 2008

It's Official!!



It's official!! I'm ready for winter to be over. I have enjoyed the beauty of the snow, and I appreciated all the rain we had in the fall and now the abundance of snow,(great for the garden), but now I'm ready for sun and warmth. The winters here always lasts about two months longer then necessary for my tastes. And I'm beginning to receive my catalogs! Yes, Park Seed, Wayside Gardens, Jackson and Perkins and Whites Flowers all have come in the mail recently and I'm pouring over them totally entranced by colors, textures, combinations and new varieties. I have browsed the catalogs and seen new cultivars, new opportunities for me to experiment with different plants and I long for the snow to be gone and to see little green sprouts popping their heads out of the brown soil. I received a new catalog this year, WildSeed Farms. I can get seed packages of totally white zinnias, Polar Bear, for my white wedding garden in the backyard. Zinnias are my favorite summer annual, quite old fashioned and reminiscent of my mom's summer flower garden.


I came across a quote from Henry David Thoreau, in Horniculture, a gardening magazine. He said, "Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been, I have great faith in the seed. Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders." I don't believe that he was a Christian, but I'm intrigued that a secular person can present a spiritual concept in such a succinct understandable way. Jesus tells us in Luke 8:11 "The seed in the Word of God." And we know that as we read, meditate and confess the Word that it becomes planted in our hearts. Much like the natural seed that we plant in soil and wait with "faith" for it to sprout and become what it is supposed to; Mark 4:4:26-28 tells us that, "So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground; and should sleep, and rise night and day, and the seed should spring and grow up, he knows not how. For the earth brings forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear." A kingdom developing in our hearts and lives. A place where the King has dominion. We have great faith in the seed.

It's true what Thoreau said, we don't believe that plants will spring forth where no seed was sown. So to with our faith. We sow the Word of God into our lives, it's important, and we get a harvest, we get fruit. We are prepared to expect wonders because He has told us of wonders in His word. Gardens are hard work but they give spectaculor results, not only to the gardener but other observers. Gardening is often a solitary pursuit. But fellow gardeners share concerns, problems, issues, solutions and victories over pest, soil conditions and weather problems. So similar to our walk as Christians in this world.

3 comments:

Quinne said...

Hi :) What a lovely post! My little ones and I are still praying for a few pretty snows to play in this year, but we are also excited about a new garden this spring. Love to you, Q

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret,

I, too, am ready for warmer weather and the awesomeness of how all plant life looks when so beautifully green, perky and strong, especially in the spring. Everything starts to bud with its newness for yet another year. It's breathtaking. As we continue our spiritual walk with the beginning of another year, I am reminded again that despite the trials we all go through, everything becomes new, fresh, and vibrantly beautiful once again all because of our Lord. His refreshing breath He blows into us again and again and again. Yes, the seeds are deeply planted and the fruit, if one is faithful enough, shall multiply over and over again. Thank you for such a wonderful post. You are very rich with wisdom and your posts are very ministering to me. I absolutely love to read them.

Love & Blessings,
Nancy C.

thisrequiresthought said...

Hi Margaret!
I loved this post.
It's funny, I also wrote about that same quote awhile ago.
and thinking is not for the faint of heart
Monday, July 16, 2007
expect wonders
"Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been, I have great faith in a seed. Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders." -- Henry David Thoreau

A neglected plot of ground is a sad sight. A glance from my side porch will provide enough weedy profusion to demonstrate this fact. This is the first summer in a long time that I do not have a garden, and I feel it sorely. To slake my garden-thirst and to keep our vegetable bin amply supplied, I make a weekly visit to Martin's Farm. I raided the stand for broccoli, cilantro, summer squash, tomatoes, and swiss chard. With my last vestige of self-dignity, I humbly ask if I can pick my own beans. ( I know all about beans. I usually plant my own beans. I know what bean plants look like. I need beans and I need beans now.)
There are yet a few treasures to be had from my weedy patch in the side yard. Stalks of wispy dill tower over varieties of ragged grass. A dozen sunflower poles have stationed themselves throughout, their lazy and deferential heads bobbing in the sun. Although the parsley bed has bolted, the flowering crown is lovely to behold, and a foraging cook can still find enough leaves to flavor her salad. True, a plant will not spring up where no seed has been. But I, too, have great faith in a seed, especially last year's survivors that have doggedly punched their way into this year's sunshine.
Time will not allow me to wax eloquent on the across-the-board applications of seed. Let's just say that Thoreau was right: Convince me you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders.