Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Controlled by Technology





I really had to look at myself and laugh this morning.

Currently at 42 East Main there are three relatively young dogs with lots of loose energy bouncing off the walls. In order to somewhat control that situation we, myself and the three canines, go for a three mile walk around our golf course everyday. However, it has become a bit complicated.

First, an electric collar must be applied to Roger and the controller attached to the belt of my one coat that has a belt. Roger usually does not need this devise but just the sound of the buzzer brings Grady right to attention and compliance with a verbal command. Then I need to put several dog biscuits into one of my pockets, rewards for good behavior. Then kleenex, I don't know why one's nose always runs in the cold weather despite not having a cold. Then a leash is stuffed into that pocket too. Now for my personal devices. I have to bring my cell phone, just in case there is a disaster along the way and I have to contact some authority. In the same pocket goes the Ipod that my adopted neice, Carol, gave me for having her here for a few months. Little does she know that she gave to us much more than she recieved from her short tenure. Not only do I want to redeem the time physically while I'm walking, but now I can listen to downloaded sermons to instruct my spirit or listen to music to refresh my soul. Now that I have that done I attach the camera case to the said belt so if any wonderful pictures come into view I won't miss the oppurtunity to capture them. And so I'm set with all my appliances and off we go, ready to push any button when needed. The one thing I haven't quite resolved is, if I get a thought along the walk how will I write it down? They come and vanish so quickly these days. Maybe a Blackberry, but I think I'd better hold off. Although Ethan can write an epic on his, I am still learning how to do basics on my Ipod and Cannon Powershot.


Today for some reason I selected to listen to music and chose the Keith Green album, The Ministry Years, that Elizabeth had downloaded into my Ipod. I had not listened to his music for years and memories began to flood back into my consciousness. When Elizabeth was around eight we became aware of his music and she had several tapes of his music. In her usual,mature beyond her years manner, she decided to write to him and tell him how much she like his music and message. Unbeknowns to us,he had just recently been killed in a plane accident. But soon she received a personal lettter from Keith's wife telling of his death and thanking Elizabeth for her letter to him. For several years she sent Elizabeth a ministry letter and we continued to appreciate his music and later read his biography. One of the verses to a song was so inspirational to me this morning, "Father, I've learned that my home is right where you are,". And I thought, his message and music are still wonderful, inspiring and life giving, continuing on despite his tragic death. God redeems and triumphs.

9 comments:

i am not but i know I AM said...

great blog Aunt Margaret! I couldn't help but laugh at the mental picture that popped into my head while reading about you suiting up for the walks!

i am not but i know I AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jon Nordberg said...

Hi Mom,
I am sorry it is so technical for you to get out and go for a walk. When I have taken the three they have all stayed by me but also don't bring a camera and ipod as well. It is fun hanging out with Otis but I miss those brown heads in Canton.
Liz

Jen Fox said...

Maybe you should get a fanny pack...

Unknown said...

i miss you aunt margaret, thanks for the mention in the blog...i feel a wee bit famous...like a muppet (i wish i were one Laura!)

i would probably argue with you that i got the better deal though.

maybe i could join you for a walk sometime, a weekend one?

yours truly...
your favorite "adopted" niece

TrashTidBits said...

I vote for the BlackBerry. I take mine everywhere I go.

Anonymous said...

Margaret,
I smile to myself as I read this post. I, too, like to take my digital camera wherever I go, along with my cell phone when traveling, but the cell phone only when walking. I appreciate your feelings about walking the dogs. We used to have a boxer named Tasia. She is now living with my daughter and her husband in South Colton. She was such a frisky thing and very powerful. I'm not a jogger, but she used to pull me along as if I was one. Animals are a delight though, and give us their unconditional love, attention and friendship.

Nancy C.

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret,
I just tagged you for a blog game. See my blog to learn more.

Nancy C.

Anonymous said...

Margaret, I'm still getting used to signing in on comments. Hopefully my site will come up for you to click into with this comment. Please bear with me.

God Bless,
Nancy C.