Tuesday, January 8, 2008

FRIENDS

We had lunch......for over four hours.

We were all there except for one who was driving her husband home from Burlington Medical Center after a major surgical procedure. The twelve of us. We had not all been together since the "accident". And Anne wanted to get us together as we start off the New Year, to regroup, to reconnect, to be together. Usually my neighborhood "girl friends" just have lunch to celebrate each others birthdays. Hence, our Birthday Group.

But one of us has experienced the unimaginable and I could tell from their touch, their hugs and the sorrow in their eyes that they are still grieving with me. Two months later. Some of them knew Christian, they had been to the engagement party, they had been to the wedding. All of my friends have lost someone; a parent, a sibling a friend but no one else has lost a beloved son-in-law. And yet, they can understand our grief, my sorrow, Elizabeth's anguish. They are mothers. They know intuitively how it would feel, how it would affect a family, how it would devestate a daughter. And I'm thankful for them and their friendship.

We spoke about each others Christmas's, children's plans, grandchildrens parties, trips, work, the Christmas house tour, plumbers and camps, recipes and the wonderful food that was served at 41 East Main. And we reconnected and looked forward to this New Year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The birthday girls - what a group of loving, caring friends! How I wish I could have been there too to give you a hug. I miss you all, especially you, my friend.
We're still praying.
Diane

Anonymous said...

We all miss you alot. There were 14 at one time but you and Gleneva are blessing other parts of the country.
m

Anonymous said...

What special friends. I am so thankful that you had this time with them. They sound wonderful.
Jude