Monday, February 16, 2009

Food for the Journey

It's wonderful to be from a small community.

We know about each other and we care.

They have found out about my journey and have called my friends, Anne and Gail, to see what can be done, how could they help.

Food! Was the answer. She'll need soft and pureed food.

And so for the past week I have entertained visitors at 42, laden with small individual freezer packs of every kind of nutritious food that can be imagined. Soups, smoothies, mac and cheese, scalloped potatoes, veggies, lentils, and the list goes on.

The three freezers in the house are completely packed. And tomorrow will begin some of their migration down to the big city.





They came not only bringing sustenance, but smiles and well wishes, and prayers and books, cards and candles, and encouragement that when I return the ground will be soft and waiting for the trowel.

Lest any worry about the rest of the crew at 42 who will remain here in total despondency without their fearless maternal leader... my friend Susan has organized dinners to be baked and delivered at regular intervals. And I understand from the "white board" in my kitchen, that 9 1/2 will participate on Saturdays, cooking and generally entertaining the somewhat sad and lonely resident surgeon.

1 comment:

thisrequiresthought said...

we've had a stint of 24 hour bug in our house...which has kept me from your doorstep this week--
My concerns about not getting any food over to you before you leave were unfounded, I see!

We will be germ-free when we feed the resident surgeon & co sometime next month.

Love you immensely!