Thursday, January 15, 2009

New Year's Day



I like to have all my peeps around me.

It's selfish, I know, and doesn't happen enough for my tastes. But we were all together on New Years Day. Ethan was up from the city, Laura was back from the midwest, Jon was in his final preparation for his next destination, and we were together for a great meal, prepared solely by Elizabeth and Laura at 34.

I guess I have just given my heart away to this small band of people I call family.

There is something comforting in their collective presence. Fun to sit back and listen to their banter. Stories of fantasy hockey, dogs, work stories, vet stories, community gossip, dogs, neighborhood interactions, questions about each of their new years, and did I mention, dog stories.

Yes, there's something comforting about tradition, plans, agendas, and promises kept.

We've learned a lot this year. Especially to live actively in the present.

But emergencies come and wildfires flare up, and we are caught in the never ending drama of real life.

Fears grip tight. And cause us to want to flee or escape or meditate on anxiety about the future.

But faith loosens strongholds and the Word of God brings light and hope.

And as we have done in the past, we take a thought and bring it into captivity, making it obedient to Jesus.

1 comment:

Darlene Sinclair said...

Very warm, ver special. Thanks for sharing.

And I haven't been to church much -- easier to avoid the temptation to blurt out responses. So here and now I will thank you so much for the wonderful bird feeder! Soon I will remember to send the nice card I have written up to tell you how much I appreciated the thoughtfulness and creativity of such a gift, but in case I forget again today, I will take this opportunity now. I LOVE it and can hardly wait to get it up -- we shall win against these beetles yet! Its beauty far surpasses anything I had seen or imagined in my searching! Thank you!

Hope you are feeling well!