Wednesday, November 6, 2013

November 4th

November 4, 1976 turned out to be the beginning of the most wonderful adventure that Rob and I have engaged upon.

Our first child was born.

In the wee hours of the morning, Elizabeth Jane Nordberg, entered this world screaming, hungry and very overdue.  When she was placed in Rob's arms, the nurse introduced her as "our little princess".  And she has certainly fulfilled that each day in our eyes.

We loved her immediately.  Red faced, no hair, new born diapers too small.....but she was ours and she was God's best gift ever to these two awe struck parents. And the proud grandparents, great grandmother and aunts and uncle.

Elizabeth was the first of that generation.  And she led the way with grace, honor, beauty, strength, intelligence and most important, a love for her savior, Jesus Christ.

She and I were buddies, right from the start and have continued to be best friends.  She would stand right up next to me while I was teaching a ladies Bible Study.  She loved music, played the piano, trumpet and french horn.  She was "put in charge" of her 1st grade class, when her teacher had to step out of the room.  She loved to read and play games.  At 13 she "took charge" of the family while I went out and cared for my sister who had just had breast cancer surgery, cooked dinner each night, washed every one's clothes and cleaned the house.   She loved to bake, and every Saturday morning would make some sort of dessert for all of us.  We know how to cook together, how to decorate together and how to entertain together. 

Elizabeth was very athletic and loved animals.  We had dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters as she was growing up.  When we moved to Canton, she developed a love for horses and riding.  So, of course, she had a horse, Whim.  She rode and showed her for years until she also developed a love of swimming competitively.  Then a choice.

She was an excellent student, devoted friend, and wonderful daughter, and sister to her three brothers.

And she was my mom's first grandchild.  They had a special bond.  They loved the same things.....shopping, eating chocolate, watching Princess Diana get married, the beach, and being together.

My mom died, 8 years ago on November 4th, Elizabeth's birthday and less than a month after my dad died.

It was difficult.  She had been struggling with Alzheimer's for about 10 years.  When my dad died I think she just decided that she didn't want to be here anymore.

She was the most wonderful mother anyone could have and I miss her enormously.  She loved and served my dad for 65 years.  He was her rock and she adored him.  I remember as a child, when 5:00pm rolled around, she would stop whatever she was doing, clean herself up and put on fresh lipstick in preparation of his arrival at 6:00pm each night.  They gardened together, him in his vegetable garden and her in her rose garden.  They went to black tie dinners for my dad's work, she always looked gorgeous in her long gowns.  She was devoted to her children and loved them unconditionally.  And her grandchildren were the light of her life.  She could hardly wait to see them always anticipating their next visit. She taught Sunday School to elementary children for 25 years, preparing for hours on Saturday afternoon.  She was so generous with her time and talents in the community, taking people to doctors appointments, exercising the handicapped, volunteering at our local hospital and always on call for any need that would arise with her children.  If we needed help, any time, any where, she and my dad would be there.....no questions asked.

My mom wasn't perfect but she was just the right mom for me.  I loved her and appreciated all the valuable lessons she taught me just by watching her.  She loved being a mom and a wife and she was great at it.

My mom and my daughter.  The two most important women in my life.  I love them beyond measure and look forward to a glorious reunion for us all one day.

"Lord, come quickly"

No comments: