Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day........On the Farm

We had a short video at church yesterday about Memorial Day. A day to remember those soldiers who have died in active duty. It's been four years but I could not look at the pictures of Arlington. It was like opening up a wound. Too many memories that are still too vivid.
But......

It was a beautiful Memorial Day here in upstate New York.
It actually felt like summer here. And for most of the holiday weekend, we worked on the "farm". Ethan came up from New York City, where it was beautiful and Aunt June came to visit for the weekend from New Hampshire.

Went to Lowes today and got supplies for fencing in part of the side yard at 42. Christian mowed the Litengard lawn, finally the rain stopped long enough to mow. And boy was it a job...had to go slowly and empty the bag frequently. And then he and Rob began putting in posts for the new yard for the babies. Only four will go over, two are roosters and will continue in the barn until it is time for Christian to take them to the Noble Farm for their ultimate future......which will be on our dinner table.

Ethan was home for the weekend and participated in making a deck floor for the prefab chicken "barn". Unfortunately the completed chicken barn picture did not get inserted so I will have to show you the "barn" on another post.

I planted my some of my tomatoes, after attending an auction briefly with adopted neice Carol. Rob is stabilizing the wire tomato cages made by his dad years ago. Hope my tomatoes are as magnificent as they were last year. I did get a couple of new heirloom varieties and I'm anxious to see how they do.

Ethan modified a new raised bed for me that is located behind the barn at Litengard. Hope to have my cauliflower over there.



Aunt June met the chickens and collected the eggs each morning, just like she did when she was a girl. She's always busy and looking for projects. She helped construct the new chicken "barn", weeded, and dug some plants to bring home to New Hampshire. She strung my netting for the peas, and helped plant the tomatoes. At 83 years old I think she is doing great!

No comments: