Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Three Celebrations


Our Birthday group celebrated three different occassions today...

I usually have a birthday party for my friend, Ann, sometimes at camp, sometimes at 42, but today we celebrated at Litengard. She loved my chickens and went home with 9 hard boiled eggs. I tried to make deviled eggs, hard boiled them but when I tried to peel them, they were impossible. I've never made deviled eggs before and I used ultra fresh eggs (just layed right before boiling). I didn't realize that I should have plunged them in ice water after they boiled. The shells were sticking like glue to the whites so they were not coming out so pretty. I did learn a lot of tricks for when I hard boil eggs in the future though, and Ann went home with eggs to make egg salad. She was happy.

My other friend, Anne, is from Canada and has recently become a citizen here. We celebrated with flags, red, white and blue candles, ribbons and we all sang the Star Spangled Banner with Lee Greenwood. She gets to vote now!!

Our other friend, Mayme, is moving to Maine at the end of the month. We're sad to see her go but have enjoyed her friendship for the last couple of years.
It was fun to all get together today. There were 11 out of the 14 who usually get together for our birthdays. We caught up on weddings, new jobs, children's activities, future wedding plans, gardens, books read, and vacations.
We've been doing this for 10 years now. Friendship. Love. Concern. Enjoyment. Fun!

2 comments:

danica said...

What are the tricks you've learned? Plunging in ice water has never been enough for my fresh eggs (from Jarrett). My only reliable trick is to try and always have a week-old dozen on hand.

View From A Backyard Garden said...

danica
they said that week old eggs are the best to use. otherwise, put a lot (don't know quanity) of salt in the water as boiling, ethan tells me he heard baking soda too, peel immediately after boiling and shocking, rolling the egg around on the counter before trying to peel. we'll try those suggestions and see if they work.
m