Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Be Still and Know........Work, Work, Work



There is a tension to Spring.

As we emerge out of our winter slumber, filled with images of whiteness and brown barrenness, we want to stand still and see the restorative creation taking place around us.

But.......

There are chores, that have to get done.

Porches to sweep and wash.
Furniture to set out for the summer.
Storm windows to remove and store and screens to wash and set in.
Gardens and borders to rake.
Grass to mow.
Patios to sweep and set up.
Manure to secure for gardens.
Seeds to start in greenhouse.
Gardens to till and plant.
Driveways- sweep the winter sand away.
Pots to drag out, fill and set in respective places around house and garden.
Air conditioners to install.
And on and on the chores go....



But what my soul, and sometimes my body, wants is to be still....
And see, observe the emerging life from deadness...
and the resurrection of new spring life.



How could it be that the snow covered that ground only days ago and now I see that one green shoot emerging from the ground. Everything looked dead, but there was life growing underneath.

I wish I could sit one day and watch my peonies....because they seem to grow about 6 inches a day. Would I actually see that slow but steady ascent and that almost miraculous development of that beautiful bud? That magic seems to happen at night, and in the morning we are treated to new hope, new life and new expectation.

The crocus, daffodils and now the tulips are almost finished here. It actually has been a long season for them this year. The hostas are unfurled, the peonies are over 2 feet tall and loaded with buds. The lilacs have emerged and are scenting the air.

And while standing on the porch last weekend enjoying the blossoming life, I saw a hummingbird. I thought it was early, they are already back from South America. Now there's determination for you. And as I think of them romantically, my cardinal couple, are back in the neighborhood. He's always first, his bright red feathers glowing, assessing the situation before allowing his mate to proceed. They always travel together. Whenever I see one, I patiently look for the other.....they are never far away from each other. Sort of like my mom and dad. And the bird feeder is full of goldfinches, so sweet and little. How did you survive the winter? And if I'm really quiet I not only hear the Piliated Woodpecker but I can see his large red head extracting unsuspecting bugs from the tree trunk. Now to see the Bard Owl in the large spruce behind Litengard.

Spring is for standing still. For observing with wonder God's grace, and beauty, and love. God resurrecting things that seemed to be dead and gone. No not really gone, just for a season. Out of sight.

But now that magnificent explosion of all shades of green, of life, of color and hope. Of new plants and once seemingly dead, seeds, lying dormant in a package...now they burst forth from the ground and shortly we will be munching on peas and beans, and those tiny sprigs of lime green will be nourishing carrots and beets.

Spring is a wonder. It's a hope and a joy.

Our spiritual life is a bit like spring. We do have to work, oh not for our salvation, totally bought and paid for by Jesus. But we do have to work to put God's word in our hearts, to reach out to our neighbors and friends and be Jesus's hands and heart to them. We need to work to be still and meditate and pray for our family, our villages and our country, God's work here and abroad.

But isn't it wonderful to sit back and enjoy God's creation, to see Him work in our lives and in the lives of our family and friends, to experience God's gifts he's given to those around us and to bask in the beauty of Spring!

"Be still and know that I am God,"

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

Thank you for sharing this, I really enjoyed it. It is spring today in Seattle (for once!) and so I don't have to imagine what you describe, I can just look out my window or sit on my deck :)