Monday, October 25, 2010

The Guest

He was sitting in the den.

As I stopped by to ask how his dinner was he said....

"You have a lot of serious books, religious books!"

He is a lawyer in Boston.

I should have thought he would be interested in the books that line the den shelves.

And as I reviewed them this morning I thought, "no wonder he was interested in why we had ten different translations of the Bible along with Matthew Henry's Commentary- Genesis to Revelation, The Complete Works of John G. Lakes, Revivals of Religion by Charles Finney, Parallel New Testament in Greek and English, a first edition volume of A History of the Holy Bible, from the biginning of the World to the Establishment of Christianity by the Rev. Thomas Stackhouse, M.A., loads of commentaries on Romans, Philippians, James, Psalms and Proverbs, Ephesians etc, Vines Expository Dictionary, and a phlerea of books written by some of our favorite authors, Andrew Murray, Francis Schaeffer, Mary Whelchel, Tim Keller, A.W. Tozer, Watchman Nee, E.W. Kenyon, Derek Prince, C.S. Lewis, F.F. Bosworth and Dietrich Bonhoeffer. We've taught a lot of Sunday School classes over the years,

So, we had a conversation about my best friend, my caring Father, my Comforter and my faith that has been developing over the last 45 years.

We've learned alot, we've experienced alot, we've survived alot and we've grown more and more confident that He is faithful, true and wonderful!

We've had some wonderful guests, both at 42 and at Litengard.

This weekend we had two sets of guests that had been here before. They have become friends. They brought me special jam from beach plums, delicious! And special coffee from Jamaica and cinnamon sticks. And today I got a package with a new apron for the fall. Wow! I'm blessed.

And I look forward to new friendships, new guests and new opportunities to share.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Margaret! Beautiful reminder to all of us of "life's journey" and how we could never make it very well without our Lord!! I am sure that, through all you have been through as a family, the Lord is TRULY using you to be a blessing, encouragement and help to so many! God bless!