Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dinner and Lecture

I was prepared to dislike her.

I had done my research.

While Rob was installing blinds in the back room, I read all the articles aloud, describing her education, her experiences and her viewpoints on a variety of subjects. And I was prepared not to like her.

But we spoke with her on the back patio and I liked her. My heart went out to her as she reached for words, as older people sometimes do, when words are not at the tip of ones tongue anymore, but in the deep recesses of the brain.

She was 75, still a professor of a major university, still giving lectures across the country, and she is a former US Surgeon General.

And despite being total polar opposites, if she had lived here, I'm sure we would have been friends.

She was warm and kind. She smiled and was gracious. And she was a mother. I can imagine a grandchild cuddling up in her arms, and I can see her reading Good Night Moon as eyelids droop and sleep falls quietly.

But we would have disagreed on almost everything.

The lecture was organized with lots of sides and statistics. And it was a complete political statement with all the liberal talking points.

She believes that every problem of mankind would be solved by education. Hunger, poverty, prejudice, crime, unwanted pregnancies, obesity, sexual diseases.......

And she believes that universal healthcare is a moral obligation in this country and is out advocating that position as she did when she held her high postition. And if we could just educate our young people we would drastically reduce unwanted pregnancies, sexual transmitted infections, obesity, smoking, etc......

They advocate a moral obligation for healthcare but where are morals when they teach our children about sex. Then there can be no morals imposed. "Whose morals?" No one can teach our children from a moral and ethical viewpoint.

Is this logical?

Seems like someone with a basic knowledge of logical could refute all their positions easily.

But, I still liked her.

No comments: