Thursday, April 1, 2010

April 1

Today would have been my parents 65th wedding anniversary. They made it to their 60th.

Yes, they got married on April 1, 1945. Right after my father got back from active duty, flying over 35 missions in Europe.

After a few days "honeymoon" at Barton's Motel, in New Jersey, they headed out to Hobbs, New Mexico where he was a flying instructor at the base. They lived in a motel room and she cooked spaghetti in an electric frying pan and a coffee maker. Those were the stories we grew up with but knowing my mom's determination and her clever use of utensils, I'm sure that one was true. She wasn't much of a cook then, she grew up in a home where they had a live in cook, but she learned rapidly and became a wonderful baker, cook and homemaker.

She was also very frugal. I remember how she used to stretch her grocery allowance and the interesting menu she would always serve. I think there were some cuts of meat that we never see in the grocery store now, and that is probably a good thing.

The one thing that I never asked her, and I don't know why, is how she managed, emotionally and spiritaully, while my dad was in England flying missions over Germany and Norway. Dangerous. All the pilots were in their early twenties. Many of the planes, pilots and crew did not make it back. But they always seemed "matter of fact" about those days and never said that either one was filled with anxiety during that time. I do know that on their wedding day, all my relatives donated their food ration cards to my grandparents for the reception, (I think for sugar so they could make a cake),my grandfather killed their chickens and they had a wonderful party at my grandparents home, with the aunts cooking and serving.

Liz and I were just speaking about them the other day and how it will be so nice to see them again someday. Someday when Jesus comes back for his own.

1 comment:

carina said...

I loved this post.