Thursday, August 27, 2009

Julie and Julia

We met at the theater and sat in the back two rows.

And we laughed, and snickered and drooled over the food the whole film. We really enjoyed ourselves and the movie.

If you haven't gone to see it yet, you must. Julie and Julia is a wonderfully entertaining movie about two determined and delightful people. And for people who love to cook, and eat, it is a must see. The visions of the most wonderfully prepared food made our mouths water.

Julia, played by Meryl Streep who was outstanding, seemed to be such an optimistic, funny, quirky person married to a wonderfully sensitive and caring man. Her rise to fame was long and arduous but she was persistent in reaching her goals. And Julie seems to be pretty amazing to, cooking through Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year, while blogging about her successes and failures and having a full time job. That may have been creative license.

After the movie we headed to 42 and had coffee and lemonade ice cream pie and discussed the movie. We loved the cinematography, the angles that were creatively shot, the way they caught the two sisters reaching out for each other, the scenes of Paris, the harshness of Queens, and a view of Julia's kitchen. Then, I just had a recollection that I might have that particular cookbook and we found it on my cookbook shelf. It came from my mother-in-laws and just happens to be a first edition of that cookbook. I'm inspired now to keep it out and try some of the recipes. Maybe she has something I can do with the large amount of cucumbers that have come out of the garden!


6 comments:

Gale said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, I will, you need to read the book. I loved the references to blogging, in addition to the cooking. I have the book, if you want to borrow it.

thisrequiresthought said...

We all loved the movie....and the conversation over dessert at your table was the best fun ever.

Let's all "be" Julia and do some amazing cooking over the next few months.

sam said...

I took a couple of girls and saw it here in MN last evening as well. I do remember in one scene she referenced a cucumber dish and I thought "I need that recipe, I have too many cucumbers!". If you find a good one, please pass it on.

View From A Backyard Garden said...

I'll peruse the cucmber section and pass anything on of interest! i made bread and butter pickles the other day but you can just use so many pickles!

danica said...

What a fun picture! I loved that movie sooo much. Glad you all did, too!

Darlene Sinclair said...

In the movie she raved about Braised Cucumbers.
And I spent the whole day, first shopping then preparing, Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon. Delicious!!