Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Another Ending



My days of meeting with Him in our garden room are drawing to a close.

Fall is upon us.

We have had cool mornings. And I had taken to shuffling back across the driveway recently, in my fleece robe and slippers, coffee in hand, Bible and journal waiting. But today it was 40 degrees and even though I looked longingly outside for one more day to enjoy my time and space, I knew, it would be too cold.

This summer, a trip through Psalms. And, as with everything in my life now, I read this book through a different light, a different perspective, a different vantage point.

So many words brought comfort. Some brought questions. What does is it mean in Psalm 81:7 when he says "You called in trouble and I delivered you, I answered you in the secret place of thunder." How can thunder be secret?

My garden room is where I've had thoughts that have had to be taken hold of and banished.

It is where I've had revelations from the Word which have taken root and now have to be watered and nurtured.

I've had tears that had to be shed there, in the presence of a caring, gentle Father.

It is a place that I am pursuing joy, through the scriptures, because I know that joy is strength. And I need that strength.

I see my garden now in this season and it is a bit sad. It is at it's end for this year. Not as many flowers and the leaves are turning brown. The fullness is beyond it's prime and now there will be a diminishing.

But the garden reminds us that there is life after death. The garden will surely fade away and the fall will come despite my resistance to it and my struggles to keep winter at bay.

And in the spring Laura will say to me again...."I can't believe it Aunt Margaret. The garden was just brown dirt and now look at all the green plants pushing through ",and next summer it will be bigger and better than ever.

Hope and Expectation.

No comments: