Monday, February 25, 2008

Perspective

"And being in agony......" Luke 22:44.

I was stopped in my tracks this morning. Where were his friends? Where was his family? I've read this passage hundreds of times but it sunk into my inner most being this morning. And it melted my heart.

I see his closest friends asleep. His three main men, asleep, resting, not even praying with him or for him. It is almost incomprehensible that his friends and disciples did not know that he was in agony, sweating drops of blood. I'm sure that was not done silently. Where was his family? His mom, his brothers and sisters. He was so alone that God had to send "an angel" to strengthen him. Even he can not do this alone. No one was there "for him". No one. No one. And then even his Father left him. Utterly alone.

And I am again reflecting on the knowledge that He was tempted as we are but yet without sin. I think I would have been angry or at least disappointed and filled with self pity. I am comforted again, with the verse from Hebrews which tells me that He is easily touched with the feelings of our infirmities. He knows from personal experience. And I am sad for him and so thankful that he persisted with the plan and didn't give up. He loved us so much, even when we were oblivious and sleepy, tired and discouraged with our own problems.

And I thought about that day in November when Elizabeth's world came crashing down.

Elizabeth called early and I was still in my pajamas and bathrobe. Her voice shaky, she did not know really what was happening but she had heard....... there was a crash. I prayed with her, "call me right back". Then I called the Sinclairs and spoke with Darlene. Please contact everyone to pray, there has been a crash but we don't know anything. Rob is in surgery but he must be told. A call to the hospital. And I want to be caught away and be "found" in Frontana Freda so I can hold Elizabeth and pray with her and stand with her, in person, in the flesh. My child is experiencing agony and her Dad and I are not there with her and we need to be.

And then a knock at the back door. Rick and Darlene were there. Did I not just call them to pray? But they came. Soon after Mike was there. Rob came home, all surgeries cancelled. And we began doing. And we continued praying. Calling for tickets to Italy, praying, calling family, calling the Army, praying. Then I saw Colin and Carol, they had come to 42 East Main from work. Judy came. Susan came. Carina came. Some had jobs securing airline tickets for us, some prayed, everyone had phones, trying to get information. And the house filled with family from church and the neighborhood. People standing with us, supporting us, working with us. People being there "for us". We had people, as the commercial says, Jesus did not.

Elizabeth and I called each other every ten minutes, just to be in contact with each other. "Darlene, would you do the calling so that I can take a shower? "Yes, of course." "We have said we would call each other every ten minutes or less." No matter what Rob and I will be in Italy as soon as we can.

And then the phone call that we did not want and our world collapsed. And sons far away had to be told, a mom, dad and family had to be told, friends and family had to be told. And the "family" in the house stayed and cried and they were with us. They did not abandon us and run away. They did not pretend that they did not know us.

Can you come with Rob and I to Italy? We are going now. Of course, we will come. We will be there with you and for you. And they did. And they were.

Carol, please try to get in touch with Elizabeth and Jon's friends. Here are their emails and phone numbers. They need to know. Elizabeth and Jon will need them, their love, their heartache, their comfort.

In her darkest hour Elizabeth had friends and family. They surrounded her and they would not leave her. Family that she had established in Italy. I spoke with Tony, whom I now know and love. He was with her, he was holding her. He was there for her when we could not be.

Jesus's friends and commrades did abandon him. He was in agony and he was alone. His mom comes to the crucifiction and I don't know how she stood there, watching him. No mom wants bad things to happen to their children, no matter how much revelation she has about the situation. I know her agony probably matched his.

And I'm realizing anew and afresh Jesus's sacrifice for a world that was not looking for him. A love that I simply can not fathom or understand it's depth. But a new appreciation springs up in my heart for one that will not leave us or forsake us in our darkness. No matter what. A friend who sticks closer than a brother.

3 comments:

Quinne said...

Hi :) This is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing what He is showing you. Love, Q

The Giles Family said...

Hello! I have been reading your blog ever since Liz showed me hers. This is beautiful! Your words really spoke to the utmost depths of my soul. I was quickly reminded of how blessed I am to have so many amazing Christian friends all around the world. I know without a shadow of a doubt, if that call were ever to come,they would stand along side me in a moments notice... May we all remember to have that same commitment and devotion to our Savior when He calls...no matter what situation arises.

Thank you and Blessings,
Michelle Giles

Anonymous said...

These words touched my heart deeply.
Thank you for sharing this perspective. Beautiful.
Jude