Sunday, February 17, 2008

BEING ATTENDED TO......

I don't know why it is but one can, and on a regular basis we usually do, ignore pleasure. We really live in a beautiful world, surrounded by color, diverse textures, gorgeous landscapes, vivid sunrises and sunsets, rainbows, gardens, snow and ice, waterfalls, architecture, and a miriad of other things. Visual sensations given by a loving Father to his children for their enjoyment. And yet we take that for granted so often. We're too busy to notice. We live in a wonderful country; able to enjoy freedoms of speech, pursuit of careers, participation in one's faith, commitment to a family, involvement in government, dedication to community and friendships. Most of us enjoy a bountiful array of wonderful food, nutritious and delicious. Pleasures. Wonderful pleasures that we all enjoy each day, usually without commenting on their presence.

But pain insists upon being attended to.

I fell down the back stairs a few weeks ago and try as I might to ignore my symptoms, I did have to go to the hospital and receive treatment for fractured ribs. I was in agony, excruiciating pain. I could not move, either to lay down, bend over, sit or walk. I did try to ignore the pain but IT was insistant that I attend to it. There was no other way.

So to, with this grief and pain that my daughter is experiencing. It must be attended to. It demands attention because it is always present, like some unwanted visitor, intruding into her space, invading her privacy, surpressing her joy. It is here and present. And we can not ignore it like we do with yet another wonderful dinner, a stunning sunset or spectacular view. She has survived but the going forward, yes, that is difficult and how to do it is the question.

Does she ignore it and hope for the best? No, that is an impossibility. She has experienced the death of a husband who was loved and cherished and it is real and final for this lifetime. And that brings pain, lose, grief and sorrow which reaches out to her and us on a daily basis. And ignoring it is not an option. The pain and lose demand being attended to.

Does she confront it and see where she finds herself at the end of the engagement? Diversion seems her best option for the present. And perhaps survival for the sort term is the answer.

I am again trying to study and understand the concept of abiding in Christ. Not only understand that aspect, so necessary for our faith to grow and prosper, but to live in it's reality. The idea of always, everyday, in all circumstances, abiding and continuing in Jesus seems almost too high to attain to. But it must be a reality. HE says it is not only a possibility but a gift and a way of life, attainable for each of us who desires it. Abiding in Him, despite our weaknesses and griefs, entrusting ourselves to the Holy one to be kept. We seem so weak, so sad at times. so limited to be what we want to be, what she wants to be; happy and with Christian. But I cast my family on the one who is altogether trustworthy and true. And depend on Him to be true to us, the ones who are living here and need the performance of His Word in our natural life.

I will, yes, I will trust in His sympathy for us, believe in His love to us, and wait, oh, that is hard, wait for His guidance and direction to each of us. It will be given.

1 comment:

danica said...

Mrs. Nordberg,

I read this today, and it somehow made me think of your ponderings on what it means to abide in Christ.

http://holyexperience.blogspot.com/2008/02/what-is-faith.html

I'm praying for you all, always.