Sunday, January 19, 2014

What Is A Christmas Tree

 
Memories
 
 
 



We put the tree up together.

Unusual.

Usually, Rob, sometimes with the help of the "boys" erect the tree in the stand and then leave me the honor of decorating the tree.

But this year we did the whole project together, buying the tree on the coldest day of the year to date, -24 degrees, setting up the tree, lighting the tree and decorating the Christmas tree.

There have been years that our sole object was to get the largest possible tree that would fit in the house.  Yes, we've had to wire it to the ceiling and bannister, build an extra big and sturdy tree stand, purchase extra boxes of lights and squeeze into the narrow opening to get into the kitchen.

This year it was more manageable.  Not too big, not too small.  Just right.

As we dug through and unwrapped all the ornaments that adorn the tree, so many memories flooded into that livingroom.

There were ornaments from my Grandmother whose tree was always a tabletop tree filled with pinecone skiing snowmen and bright lights.  There were beautiful glass ornaments, in there original boxes, minus the stiff plastic from the tops, made in Germany, from my parents.  When my children were small, we only had non breakable ornaments, many made by my sister and myself.

We have ornaments from the places we have visited, NYC, Austria, Italy, Dubai, Washington, Grove Park Inn, Chimney Rock, Jamacia, San Fransico, Norway, Kentucky.

And so many ornaments bring back Christmas's pack with fun, anticipation, church, family and food.

And now I have put the memories away until next year.

The festive lights are gone and all the remembering of events in my lovely past.  And onto this next year!!  What does the Lord have in store for us these next 365 days?

I expect He will fill our lives with His love and wonder, living our lives in this sleepy little village.  I expect to see so much of His beauty enveloping me each day, in the lives of my friends and neighbors, my little flock of animials and my plots of gardens.  I expect He will teach me new things and challenge me in negative behaviors.  And I hope to become more like Him in vision and holiness.



No comments: