Friday, December 2, 2011

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has come and gone! How could that be?

And we hardly had time to really give thanks and express our gratitude to God for our manifold blessings. We're already onto Christmas.

I wish we would change the date for Thanksgiving and move it to October, like the Canadians. It would give us more time to reflect and celebrate this wonderful holiday.

I am so blessed to live in this country. Really, I could have been born anywhere. I own a business, raise a flock of chickens, have plenty of food,(some of which I raised in my backyard garden), shelter and warm clothes for the winter. I was raised by wonderful parents who loved me and my sisters unconditionally. They taught me respect for authority and a love of family and God. We belong to a wonderful church community where we share our joys and sorrows. I have four wonderful children who are the light of my life (although they live too far away). Our neighborhood gives us wonderful friendships where we have parties out on our front lawns. And the North Country is a gorgeous place to live, all four seasons.

God has been good to us.

This is one of our Thanksgiving traditions. The Turkey Bowl. Every year Ethan organizes a tackle football game in the morning. This year one of the players is missing from the picture. Christian was stabbed in the face with a cleat while tackling Greg and had to go to the office for 9 stitches. Nose to lip! And turkey is his favorite meal.


Aunt June, 84, made it up from New Hampshire and Grandma and Uncle Don came over for our Thanksgiving feast: turkey, dressing, gravy, cranberry relish, homegrown mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole and butternut squash and apple casserole. Later it was pecan and apple pie. And of course whipped cream.



And now it is December 2. Our anniversary.

Wow!! We've been married 39 years! I've been married way longer than I was single.

And I am so thankful to be married to this wonderful man. He loves the Lord and me more than anything in the world. He is kind and considerate and thoughtful. He is honest and honorable, traits that are somehow missing in many these days. So many people around the community come up to me and tell me how great Rob is and they are so thankful for the care he has given them. I received a card from our neighbor the other day thanking Rob for the care for her husband. "John aways felt secure with your care. You took such an interest in his well being, and we are so grateful for that." And he has a folder in the office full of like cards. I'm proud of him and his skill. He is so generous, especially with our children, but whenever there is a need he is there with support. He can do anything.....carpentry, plumbing, electrical work, painting, wallpapering, antiquing furniture, car repairs, etc. He's quirky in a very endearing way and we have lots of stories that make us laugh when we remember some of his antics!
He's the smartest person I know, but I beat him in Scrabble the other day!

Yup! Married 39 years. But today is more than just our anniversary. It is more than just the present. It's a time for stuff.... a time to fit our soul for heaven, to love each other, to hear what God wants us to do today, to enjoy his creation, (even the impending winter with it's sounds of silently falling snow), it's a time for not just polishing the outside, but developing the inside.

Seeing beauty in everyday life.

1 comment:

nymrsb said...

Happy Anniversary!