Friday, April 1, 2011

Our First Dozen

The first dozen have already been secured.

Actually I have around 16 eggs now, all since Monday. The girls are good producers. I think they like their new home

Rob actually got home before 10:00pm last night, so he wanted to see how I "put the girls to bed for the night". I showed him my little routine and when he went into the coop he found an egg. He was so excited to get his first egg!


My first dozen.


My neighbor, Anne, thought we should name the girls. When I told Aunt June about naming the chickens she said they should have Norwegian names. We thought about that, looked on line for Scandinavian names, and then decided on some names that we were familiar with from our family.

This is a Rhode Island Red and we named her Gurli.



This is a Golden Laced Wyondotte, we named her after my great grandmother, Gurine.



Astrid is our Golden Comet. She is the smallest of our flock, just like my grandmother who was the most petite in our family.



Brigitta is the name for our Delaware.



Then we have the twin Buff Orphingtons who now are called Rigmar and Borghild.




For those of you not familiar with Norwegian names these may seem like tongue twisters. But we are following the theme of our new enterprise, even to our chickens. Actually, I have recently become aware of some heritage chickens from Sweden, Swedish Flower Hens. They are a bred that have been found in some remote villages of Sweden and have been brought over here to the USA to keep the bred going by conscientiously breeding and raising flocks. They are very pretty, and maybe if my experiment goes well I get a few someday. Well see.

Meanwhile, I'm having fun with my little group of cluckers.

2 comments:

thisrequiresthought said...

I love all the fun you two are having with your "girls"!

I need to stop by & meet them soon!

Elisabeth said...

My husband's grandma's name is Borghild! We call her Borgie for short :)

We had chickens for a time here in our backyard in Seattle and hopefully we'll do it again at a different season in life. I do know that silly feeling of trying to chase after a chicken that just doesn't want to be caught . . . though not down Main street!