Saturday, January 8, 2011

Arriving Daily

As much as I love the Christmas season with all the decorations outside and inside, the mail keeps me occupied with other longings.




These lights and the wreath will remain for the winter and into the spring. They greet me cheerfully when I drive into the driveway and make me long for the day when I will put that little house to good use........starting seeds and nurturing plants.



Arriving daily are large glossy colorful catalogs. Filled with hopes and visions for the months to come. I already know what tomato plants I'm going to order for this next growing season: 'Mortgage Lifter", 'Nebraska Wedding' (great large orange beefsteaks with wonderful flavor),'Paul Robeson' (gorgeous purplish red),'Siberian' (fun for stuffing and baking), 'Camp Joy' (small red, cherry fruits) and a few new varieties that have yet to be selected.

I grew some potatoes last year and they were really fun. I didn't even know how to grow them but they produced. This year I'm hoping for great results now that actually know what to do. And Rob and built me a LARGE raised bed for that project. I have my eye on some red, white and blue options.

The eggplant, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower will again appear as well as the standard beans, peas, squash (winter and summer),beets and cabbage. I already have a big patch of asparagus going but I think I will have to wait one more year before I can actually cut some. And I planted lots of garlic in one of the raised beds at Litengard, now covered with straw and blanketed with snow. Just waiting....

They sure know when to send the catalogs......the days are shorter and cold. Darkness falls early and one has to spend a great amount of time indoors longing for light. So they send us catalogs to occupy our time, remember our past gardening successes and offer visual temptations to try planting things that just will definitely not grow in our zone, no matter how much we coax them along.




But I am enjoying the snow. It has been so beautiful this year. Soft and feathery, light and airy, dusting everything and then blowing away. Seasons are good!

No comments: