Thursday, December 30, 2010

While the Time is Still Now

Our birthday group had a Christmas lunch at Litengard. Soup. Kale soup and cauliflower soup with crusty bread.

Our purpose was for a Christmas cookie exchange. We made our family's favorite Christmas cookies. And distributed them on 12 trays.

Could we bring some Christmas cheer to the people at Maplewood?

There are 12 cottages at Maplewood. This is the new living concept for nursing homes now. It seems more like home. The dining room is just for 12 people and the food is not served on trays. People are able to have their own furniture in their semiprivate rooms, suites, bedrooms seperated by the bathroom. Some rooms had wonderful Christmas decorations. You could tell, things brought from home to remind them of Christmas's past.

It's nice. It's clean and new and a thoughtful concept.

We went for hours. We greeted and touched everyone. Some were in different stages of dementia. Others were perfectly sound mentally but physically debilitated, their families unable to care for them at home.

I spoke at length to one gentleman, 92, who had been a local farmer. He actually had 3 farms in the area, had moved out west but was visiting relatives here when he fell and fractured 3 vertebrae. This is his home now. I asked him about chickens. (Surprise, surprise) and he gave me some much information about caring for them. I enjoyed talking with him. He liked the cookies.

As we left I wondered what I had seen. And then I knew.

I had seen bravery.

I don't think any of these folks thought when they were young that they would end up in a nursing home. No. We don't plan for that. We plan for full, content lives, filled with family and pleasure, surrounded by comfort and love.

And I didn't see one angry person. I saw bravery, thankfullness, courage and dignity.

I saw this in my mom and dad. And I thought perhaps it was just because they were special. But I think it is the generation.

And I wondered......Is my generation brave?

Do we have integrity, honesty, compassion, dignity? How will we act when we get to be 90 and can not care for ourselves.

Is my children's generation brave? They been given everything.

And then I thought.....Am I brave?

I have to think about that.

No comments: