Friday, September 24, 2010

Gifts and Recipies


One of Rob's patients made this for Litengard. It is beautiful! It is modeled after an 18 century French physican's cabinet. And he wrote us and told us he made it exactly the way they would have made it, using the same techniques. Rob has very talented patients!
It is really gorgeous and sits proudly in the hall on the second floor.


We had really great guests last weekend. A family. They were in Canton to visit their son who is a football player at SLU. And all the inlaws came too. They all live in the same town and travel around together, all friends. It's what I dream about. They were so much fun.
They were so interested in the house and all the historic details. They loved the Swedish design and all the family history. In fact, they saw my grandmother's samplier, with her name (Astrid) on it and told me about a book that they had all read....Astrid and Veronika. It is a book by a Swedish author about a friendship between two very different people. I'm just getting into it now. Anyway, they had gone to the bookstore and purchased a copy, gone online and figured out how to write "thank you for a wonderful stay" in Norwegian. It was so very sweet and thoughtful of them.
They tell me they are coming back. Good!



A couple of recipies:

I made this for our brunch the other day. Everyone loved it.

Easy Breakfast Pizza
1 pound sausage, browned
1 package crescent rolls
5 eggs... I used 6
1/4 cup milk....I used 1/4 cup of milk and about 1/4 cup cream
15 ounces frosen hash browns, thawed
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded.... I probably used 1 1/2 cups of cheese

Unroll crescent rolls and press in 9X13 inch pan. I buttered it first although the recipe did not call for it. Spoon sausage over crust, sprinkle hash browns, sprinkle cheese over hash browns. Beat together eggs and milk, pour over top. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes until bottom crust is browned and center is set. Serve with salsa. Serves 8-10.

Baked Eggs (Rob's favorite so far)
3 tablespoons butter
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoons fresh chopped basil (I didn't use this)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup milk I used a bit of cream
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Melt butter in small saucepan. Stir in flour, pepper, salt and basil. Add milk and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Stir for 1 minute more. Butter two 8 ounce baking dishes. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of sauce into baking dishes. Break each egg over the suce into the two dishes and spoon remaining sauce over the eggs. Bake at 350 for 18 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over hot sauce and let stand until it melts, Garnish with chopped basil and serve immediately with Canadian bacon or ham slices, fresh tomato slices. I acutally cooked it a couple minutes less and put it back into the over after I put the cheese on it. It got a bit crusty with I liked instead of just melted. And of course I did serve it with my heirloom tomatoes, three different kinds...pink, purple and yellow. It looks very pretty with ham slices, the tomatoes and a big sprig of parsley. I always make an extra one for Rob.

1 comment:

nymrsb said...

They sound yummy! Perhaps they will appear on our table one day :)