Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Newborn

Jon, Liz and I went over to friends the other day to see their newborn. All 150 pounds of him!



No spindly little legs like the throughbreds, on this young man! These are substantial limbs, made for pulling and driving. Quite a handsome little guy this one was but his mom kept him right behind her. She didn't want us to get too close to her pride and joy. But eventually, we stood there quietly, and then a strong stable hand came in to pull on his halter and get him close to us so we could have a proper, up close introduction.




Our friends told us that he nurses every 15 minutes. Wow! And some of us thought we had to nurse often! His mom has lost quite a bit of weight since the delivery,(not that anyone could tell), which she accomplished nicely without any help



They also have a beautiful chicken/duck coop. So they offer to take me to see it and gather some eggs. My first attempt was easy, the hen had left her nest and three were just sitting there. I did have to put my hand under this hen and get the two that she was sitting on. So much fun! And it wasn't smelly at all.

I think I can do it! But not right now. I have a few other things on my plate for the near future.

No comments: