Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Old Books



I unearthed another box of old books as I picked my way through our basement. It's not a New Years resolution, but we really must organize the basement.

Why?

Because in the last four years, three homes have become one here at 42. And we have no more room.

The latest newcomers to the basement were thrown hastily downstairs at the beginning of the summer and now have to be reviewed for their right to live here.

I had to smile when I saw these song books, Modern Quartets for Men, published in 1938. Wonderful old songs like Jesus Lover of My Soul, A New Name in Glory and Rise Up, O Men of God. Perhaps Rob, Ford, Rick and Bill would enjoy these melodies but I bet we could not induce the younger generation to sing along.

These books belonged to my father-in-law and we now know that in 1940 he lived at 140 East 50th Street in New York City. Only one block up from Ethan's current apartment.




This book caught my eye. Published in 1939, it belonged to my mother-in-law when she attended Philadelphia School of the Bible. It is written by a medical doctor who was a missionary in China for eighteen years, director of Missionary course at Moody Bible Institute and the home director for the China Inland Mission. I turn to the chapter on "Unoccupied Fields" and see the names of Mongolia,(Jon did a missions trip to Mongolia this year), Afghanistan, Russian Central Asia, Chinese Turkistan, Tibet and Nepal, Siberia and vast parts of Africa and South America. We have pressed forward in some of these fronts.




This is the sweetest little Swedish Bible. All fancied up with black velvet and a brass clasp with the notation of 1877 belonging to my mother-in-laws aunt.




This is a Sionsharpan which must mean hymnal in Swedish. It belonged to Robs grandfather who was a Swedish Covenant minister. And strange as it may seem, this past Sunday, we sat having lunch with people who had gone to his church in Conneticut and who knew two 90 year old sisters who had gone to church there their whole lives and must have sat under T.E. Nordberg's ministry.




Where this book came from I do not know. But it is an ancient copy of Andrew Murray's The Spirit of Christ. I have looked everywhere and there is no date, but at the end of the book in pencil is written, August 31, 1884. All I know is that the pages are yellow and brittle and when I opened the book the binding fell apart and I taped it together so I could read it. For those familiar with Andrew Murray, he often wrote in devotional style and this book is divided into 31 chapters and is perfect for devotional reading. I have read many books on the Holy Spirit, but non as deep and informational and inspiring as this one. If The Spirit of Christ is still in print I would encourage all to get a copy.

Old books have a history. People have touched them and loved them, kept them, valued and treasured them. Cherished their songs and melodies, received inspiration and direction, made notations in them, and put some of these small little treasures in their pockets or purses while traveling or on a journey. Love of the word.

2 comments:

thisrequiresthought said...

How I love old books. How I love family history! Combine the two, and you've got priceless treasure.
Keep poking through those old books Margaret -and share what you find.

nymrsb said...

Ken and I both love old books, and new ones for that matter. They're a tangible link to others who have enjoyed the treasures they hold. New electronic Kindle certainly can't compare!