Monday, October 22, 2007

Fall Unending

I came out of the house to go to church yesterday and was dazzled by the yellow leaves of the huge 100 year old trees sparkling in the sunlight. Even though I was a bit late I ran back into the house to get Rob's camera to document the beautiful sight. We have had a simply magnificient fall this year. The leaves are still on the trees and the colors have been breathtaking. Everyone has been noticing the foliage this year and it's longevity. We're all wondering if it is because we have had a relatively dry fall, or because we have experienced warm days and cool nights. Anyway, when we are sometimes experiencing snow in October, we are now still out in our shorts and tee shirts and enjoying our wonderful area we live in. Fall is my favorite time of the year so it is extra special this year because it has lasted so long. Hope I'm not raking leaves in December!!

Tonight is Carol's bridal shower at 42 East Main Street, for her friends in this area. I had so much fun decorating for it, with brown's and slate blues and all the lovely fall colors. We hollowed out a hubbard squash that Kathy Thomas brought me from her farm yesterday and I will fill it with squash dip that I made from Martha Stewart's fall issue. Rob tasted it yesterday and approved. We have lovely pumpkin roll, pecan bars, apple strudel and other goodies. Some of the ladies will be sharing personal insights into some areas that we all need to keep sharp on in our marriages. Laura and I are sad for Carol to leave our Canton residence but know that she is in really good hands with Andy, and I think they will be over frequently for dinner and games.

Elizabeth called this morning with an update on our extended family Christmas trip to Italy. I'm excited to spend this Christmas with her and Christian since we missed them terribly last year. Although we speak frequently on the phone, her Dad and I still miss the personal visits and having the family all together, especially at the holidays. Can hardly believe that we have a daughter and son-in-law living in Italy! Dad's excited to see their house and go to the base to see Christian's base of operations. Although he has flown in helicopeters before with life flights, the Blackhawk will be a bit different I'm sure.

The sun is shining and I'm off to sit for a few minutes on the back patio.

1 comment:

Jon Nordberg said...

Mom, what is going on in Canton? Are you busy with the State? Well, I have not spoken with you for quite some time. Anyway, Otis says hello!