Saturday, July 21, 2018

Rain

We need rain!

It's been bright and sunny here for weeks!
Temperatures in the high 80's or 90's, which is very unusual for this area.
Great pool weather and lake swimming and sun bathing.

But we need rain.

I drive to Madrid to sit for my 4 lovelies while their mom goes to exercise class and the fields are polka dotted with those huge round hay bales.  The farmers have cut several times already. We had a rainy spring and then immediately it turned to summer so everything grew quickly!

But now the fields are starting to look a little brown.  A little desperate for some moisture and relief from the sun.

My hostas and daylillies have really enjoyed the rainy spring and the subsequent sun, but after a couple of weeks of no rain I had to take out sprinklers and begin to give them the water they craved.  I was a little tardy on that activity and they began to get brown edges and curl up which is not too flattering for hostas.  And now I dread the arrival of my water bill....both at the house and Inn!  The sprinklers have been going for hours in the cool of the morning and evening.

But I do love these nice sun shiny days.

Especially in the mornings sitting on the back patio overlooking the back garden, listening to the cardinals and noisy wrens and watching the goldfinches and nut hatches flit back and forth from the trees to the bird feeders and every once in a while take a dip in the bird baths.

Could we just have a gentle rain for a few hours every night around 3:00am?

And then I think we could achieve a little bit of heaven on earth!


No comments: