Monday, November 17, 2014

A Long Obedience in the Same Direction

She is 88 years old.  Or rather young.

And she showered me with gifts the whole week we were in Hilton Head.  Books, CD's, pajamas, a crystal jewelry box!

Why?  Just because we were there, she wanted to bless me and it will be my birthday.

I've known her longer that I've known Rob.  She took me under her "wing" when I was 18 years old and has nurtured, loved, encouraged, prodded, visited, written, and praised me for the last 48 years.  She showed me how to have ingredients in the house so when "people" show up unexpectedly, you can invite them for dinner.  She modeled how to have neighborhood Bible studies and teach Women of the Bible to church and community.  She loved to look nice and continues to always looks nice  when she goes out of the house with just a "bit" of makeup.  (Something I need to practice) 

When I was in NYC for 6 weeks having radiation, she sent me a package every week.  Just silly stuff but boy did I look forward to the week in anticipation of the brown bag box.  The mask and the bolting down were minimized by those shoe boxes and the notes lovingly tucked inside.

But most important she showed me how to stay faithful.  How to think of others before myself.  How to anticipate needs and celebrate events.  How to take "time" away and sometimes have a pajama day without being guilty.  How to be creative with little and shop at second hand shops.  How to read and Word and really believe it.  How to expect miracles everyday, not always the big ones, but the little ones that show us that our Father is really there and interested in our everyday lives.  She believes Him for parking spaces, for finding a gold watch and a lost wallet.  She believes Him for continued health and taught Sunday School for 1st graders till she was in her early 80's. She came to the wedding,  she called us in Italy and had the mom's for lunch when we were together on the Island, and on each of our birthdays every year...she sings Happy Birthday into the phone.

She sounds too good to be true, but she is a real person.  Fran.

And I'm blessed to have her in my life.

I'm glad we got to spend a few days with her.  I miss her already!  But she is looking forward to bigger and better things for herself and Dick.  A wonderful future and a great expectation!

No comments: