Sunday, November 11, 2012

November 4th


Thirty-six years ago, November 4th, our lives were changed forever.  Very early in the morning, before the sun came up, our beautiful daughter was born.  And we became a family. 

Once I got the hang of a schedule, we all got along very nicely.  Although she loved to be entertained.  And I loved entertaining her.  Holding, rocking, reading books to her when she was a week old, walking her in her perambulator, and taking her to her grandmother's, both who lived close by and absolutely adored her.  She even had a great grandmother who lived with my mom and Elizabeth was a great source of joy to her.

We were best friends right from the start.  She was energetic, inquisitive, smart, loving and kind.  I remember having 30 women in our living room for Bible study and she would stand beside me as we worshiped and then she would sit down and do Bible study with the rest of the ladies.

And when she was about 8 years old she developed a love of baking.  Every Saturday she would bake cookies for the family......made her brothers very happy.  And when she was 13, I had to go and help my sister who just had a mastectomy.  Elizabeth stayed home with the boys, managed the home and the schedule and cooked a dinner each night for her dad and the family.

She was and is competetive, which made her a great swimmer and a great student.  And she developed a love for animals.  We had horses, dogs, rabbits, cats and various other small animals that lived in cages.

And on November 4th, seven years ago my mom died.  I miss her terribly.  She was the best mom anyone coule have.  She modeled the role of a wife and mother to her three girls perfectly.  She loved her family, gave us each confidence in who we were, encouraged us, showed us how to love a husband, be involved in community and church, and be interested in others more than ourselves.

I think one always needs a mom.

No comments: