Friday, August 10, 2012

Moms

Today would have been my mom's 89th birthday.

She was a great mom,  devoted wife, loyal friend, yummy cook and outstanding housekeeper.  And she loved doing all those things.

She didn't have to be taught that being a mom was the best thing in the world and that her job was significant and more important than anything else in the world.  And that God valued what she did in the home.  She raised three girls, who knew right from wrong, had a strong work ethic (might be the Scandinavian influence kicking in), valued family and all became born again Christians.

As I look around in church these days I'm so impressed with the wonderful young families we have.  We've been here for a while so all the kids that I have had in children's church are grown, married, have families and even some of their children are now getting married themselves.  Many of them became involved with the Women's Ministry.  And now they are out, married, and having families of their own.

Our church has been a bastion of promoting the family.  That's one of the reasons we decided to plant ourselves at CFC.  That was the most important thing to us too.

And I see that all the teaching, mentoring, praying, modeling the church body has done,  has really paid off.

I see  young mom's grabbing hold of new moms and helping them with questions, issues, concerns.  Encouraging them to keep on keeping on.  They plan showers for each other.  Share books, recipes, and decorating ideas with each other.  They have a Mom's Cadre where they get together and get to talk about mom issues.  And then the young couples get together once a month and receive more encouragement from others about raising Godly families together.  They help each other with home projects, and work together on church projects.  And they promote families together.  And I see the dad's gently and quietly helping with the discipline of behavior in the young, producing some wonderful toddlers and young ones.

I guess I'm boasting.  But I'm proud of them.  I think it's a bit unusual.  I sometime wish families could be imported for a bit and be a part of our fellowship.  We're not perfect, no.  Far from perfect.  But I think we have something special here.

My mom would be proud too.

No comments: