Sunday, March 25, 2012

I Have A Tree

I have a tree which stands on our property line. We share the tree, technically.

It's about 80 to 100 years old. And it towers above our home.

When we moved here 28 years ago it looked a bit different.

Of course a little smaller, but still a significant tree by any standard. It was beautiful in the spring and summer, a huge canopy of leaves giving shade and homes to birds and other wildlife. In the autumn it painted the sky with reds and yellows mellowing to burnt oranges and golds.

But over the years it has sustained significant trama to it's trunk and branches. During the infamous ice storm 15 years ago, it lost huge branches on many sides. And it has sustained a hole 30 feet up it's trunk where, now, many families of squirrels reside. During several of our more severe winters other limbs and branches have been lost. We have had to call in the professional tree service people to cut up the huge limbs that have come down. Our seemly large chain saws, not up to the job. My lovely tree now sports numerous large holes from woodpeckers, scars from broken off branches and holes from birds and animals making this magnificent tree their home. It actually seems a bit lopsided now. It has had a lot of life wounds and injuries.

I have called the arborist 4 times over the course of 28 years. Each time I think, this tree can not survive another injury. It has finally met it's fatal blow. This fall when I called Marcus, he said, "no, this tree is still strong and healthy. It's strength is in it's mighty roots. It's not going anywhere. These maples can sustain a lot of abuse above the ground."

Yes, that's the secret.

Survival is in the roots.

A good foundation. Scripture tells us this. It's a Biblical principle. The foundation. Make it strong. He tells us that if our delight is in the law of the Lord we will be like a "tree firmly planted by streams of water, yielding our fruit in its season, its leaf does not wither; and whatever it does shall prosper."

My tree doesn't look as lovely and majestic as it did 28 years ago. But it is still flourishing, providing oxygen for the environment, giving shade to us in the summer, housing nests for birds in the spring, and wood for our fireplace with each limb that has been torn off.

We have all had some significant life wounds. Especially if we have lived beyond middle age. We have watched our loved ones die, we've had disappointments and had some of our hopes and expectations dashed. There have been times when I have just cried out to the Lord.."Not one more blow, Father. I don't think I can take one more arrow."

But I want my life to deepen, not wither because of painful life experiences. I don't want to be a victim but a survivor. And not only a survivor but someone filled with grace and peace. I don't want to be like the beautiful white birches I see in the woods. Lovely white trunks with swaying graceful branches. They are the beauties of the woods. But one good wind, and a whole stand of birches goes down. Strewn all over the forest floor. No roots to sustain them though trials and tribulations.

I want to be like my mighty maple. We may not look real good to some on the outside, maybe some scars from battles and disappointments are visible, but inside we are strong and committed to quality living on every level.

"Why are you downcast, O my soul?
why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God" Psalm 42

1 comment:

nymrsb said...

It's good to have firm roots. Thank you for the reminder.