Friday, March 25, 2011

Ends of the Spectrum

Yesterday I worked for hours, side by side a seven year old boy.

Friends of ours who have a farm and greenhouse, had received 1100 flower plugs and they all needed to be transplanted into six packs. It was fun to get back into the dirt this early in the season. The heaters and fans were on and it was nice and toasty in the greenhouse.

My seven year old friend had been working before I arrived. This was his family's business. He did one job and I did another. And sometimes we switched jobs.

He was cheerful and worked steadily. He never complained or wanted to take a break. He occasionally ate a cracker and offered some to me. His dad came and offered some suggestions and corrections to him and he accepted them cheerfully. As I asked him various things about the farm he regaled me with funny stories. He told me things about some plants that I was surprised a seven year old knew about. And he was plenty knowledgeable about the different animals on the farm. His mom needed him at the house for a couple of hours and so he disappeared only to re emerge back at the greenhouse to continue his job.

I had to leave shortly after he returned but I asked him if he could show me the new piglets in the barn. He took me all around the barn and introduced me to the various animals, pigs of all ages, three young cows, hens and a rooster which he bravely shooed away. Then he picked up a pail and said he had to water the chickens, his main responsibility. So he lugged a pail one third filled with water up a hill to the chicken house. Upon seeing all the chickens in a large fenced in area I asked him how many laying chickens were at the farm. "Oh, about a hundred." Like that was nothing at all. Seemed like a lot to me.

He then hopped up into the chicken house, replenished the water and started to collect the eggs. That was his job, part of his chores on this family farm.

Needless to say I was impressed with this seven year old. He had poise, a great personality, a cheerful disposition, a great work ethic and a love for the rest of his family, younger and older. I was smitten. I don't think I know another seven year old like him.

That evening, Rob and I went to a concert at Hosmer Hall. The legendary jazz guitarist was performing and Rob had been given tickets as a Christmas present. Bucky Pizzarelli is 85 years old and he was amazing. He has played in bands with Benny Goodman and Frank Sinatra. He as done concerts at the White House and Carnegie Hall. He has toured the world with Benny Goodman, Zoot Sims, Benny Carter, Barney Kessel and Charlie Byrd. In 2005 he was elected to the Jazz Hall of Fame. We both said my dad, who was a jazz pianist himself, would have loved the concert.

So my day went from the very young to the very old. And they were both amazing. I guess it goes to show you that age doesn't matter. We can be productive when we are young and we still can be creative, inspiring and entertaining when we are old. Two ends of the spectrum.......with a great many years in between.

4 comments:

thisrequiresthought said...

wonderful thoughts written so perfectly! I really enjoyed reading it.

Darlene Sinclair said...

Loved this telling of your day. Truly special because of truly special people, young and old!

Dyllan's Dependents said...

I am so jealous that you have already gotten your hands in the dirt. I am going to miss that this spring and summer.

Stephanie said...

Jill Briscoe always says 'gift doesn't age'. I think she's right!