Friday, August 20, 2010

New Friends and Farmers Market

We had a house full at Litengard last night.

It was fun. One room went to parents of a Clarkson student. They had never stayed in a Bed and Breakfast before. One room went to a mom and her daughter who was interviewing at St Lawrence. They understood old houses, they have one they go to in the summer in Vermont. The last room went to a couple from Persia, who grew up in Holland and will be working in another city and the wife will be a graduate student at Clarkson. He had a sort of Scandinavian accent which was interesting because he totally did not look like us, not that all nordic people have blond hair and blue eyes!

We had a wonderful sausage, egg, and cheese casserole, almond kringle, fresh local peaches and blueberries, orange juice, and locally roasted coffee. I will try to post the recipes that I have used sometime in the near future. I know that many of you have asked for them so I'll try to spend some time jotting them down.

After everyone left and the wash was started I walked down to our Farmers Market. The Canton Farmers Market is every Tuesday and Friday starting in the spring and running through October. It's the best. Especially if one lives in the village and can walk down on a gorgeous day like today. Not only can one get the best local corn from the Nobles, but the Cook's sell the BEST bacon I've ever had. I ordered 4 pounds over the phone the other day and she had it all packaged up for me. She was showing another customer the bacon when I got there (which was a bit later in the morning) but assured me that she had been saving it for me and was just letting the person look at the quality of the meat. The village has installed electricity so farmers can bring their freezers and sell their meats. The beef looked great too. Maybe next Tuesday! I have grown absolutely huge and wonderful heirloom tomatoes this year but I spied another variety at one of the vendors. I think she called it Scarlett something, I have to look it up. She said it made great sandwiches, which is just what Rob said he wanted for dinner tonight. So I came home with two scarlett beauties.

The other wonderful thing about Canton and the Farmers Market is that one meets all one's friends and acquaintances while wandering from booth to booth. I caught up on a lot of news from the neighborhood, the village and Colton (since I have not been to camp once this year to see everyone out there). Then off to the post office and a visit to my local teller and a lovely walk home again laden with wonderful fruit, veggies, meat and local updates.

And sitting in the back room, my office at Litengard, looking out onto the great backyard, a male cardinal just landed on the porch railing. He was beautiful, his mate must be around somewhere, I always see them together. So sweet!

Does summer have to end?

No comments: