Tuesday, June 2, 2009

HELP! I'M STUCK.........

What a day!

It started with a very violent affair.

I thought it would be easy. They said it would be, but the reality was something quite different.

They showed up with chain saws and bobcats and chains. And the things I thought could be saved were quickly buried deep under mounds of dirt and debris.

The operation? The removal of the 20 year old lilacs around the previous old deck and the current kitchen garden. The hope of more sun on my garden was the reason for the removal of the beloved lilacs.

After two hours of noise, and pulling, stacking, shaking,and total destruction of the 7 large lilacs, and tire tracks across the side yard, the space was devoid of the old friends. Sad. But I'm moving on to some subsistence gardening. (Now all I need is my little chicken coop!)

The next step was to take the truck to the manure pile across from the local horse stable.

I knew exactly where I wanted the truck to be. Right next to the huge pile so I could stand on top of the pile and just shovel it into the bed of the truck. I've done this many times before and it's hard work but more convenient then loading up a wheelbarrow and push it up a wooden ramp to the truck bed.

I eyed the squishy approach to the pile. It has rained almost continuously here for the last week or so. Could I make it in and out? I have a 2 wheel drive truck now instead of my standard 4 wheel drive.

I tried. I failed. And I was stuck! Down deep to the axles. Oh, no! No manure and I'm stuck too.

A quick call to resident neice. "Help, I'm stuck in the manure pile!". "What, where are you?" she replied. Directions and then a little loading of a bit of manure and then I was rescued.

And later, resident Dad and son took the trusty Suburban and rescued the grey Dodge.

And I'm off the the manure pile again today. I'm sure there will be a better approach to the prize!

3 comments:

Darlene Sinclair said...

Sounds ambitious! I never did find that manure pile. I think I'll have to get better directions and borrow a friend's truck! Thanks!

Jedediah said...

You are awesome that's all i have to say. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have a friend in BLoomington that is building a "portable" chicken coop (since she lives within the city limits, she can only have 5 chickens). She went to a site called Catawbacoops.com for her plans.