Wednesday, December 19, 2007

It's Christmas Time

It is Christmas time here at 42 East Main Street. When Elizabeth and I came home from Italy my lovely friends and family, Rob, Laura, Carol and Andy, had put the candles in all the windows of the house and the glow of the lights was a welcoming sight. I usually put them in right before Thanksgiving to welcome home my children who are not currently living with us. It was heartwarming to see them as we turned up the street.

We did get a large thin tree which is up and just loaded with lights, minus ornaments but looking festive and filling the house with woodsy pine smell. There is one gift under the tree. I also found the Christmas stockings, a small miracle, up in the barn attic. I was anxious about going to look for them because I thought perhaps I would not find them, and stockings are our favorite thing on Christmas morning, and I was also not too interested in spending much time outside when it was 0 degrees.

Perhaps the best indication that Christmas is here at 42 is the Christmas smells. Laura started baking Christmas cookies!! She made two batches of Spritz, Jon's favorite, and one batch of Vanilla Christmas cookies, a Williamson favorite and Christmas necessity. Yesterday she made gingerbread men. We're on our way to having lovely Christmas treats.

And yes, it is snowing again. We got another 12 inches over the weekend and it is currently snowing heavily. The birdbath outside the back door is completely covered in snow and because it has disappeared the dogs are constantly running into it. It will certainly be a white Christmas here in the North Country. Greg, Jon and Laura are all going sleding shortly. We'll post pictures later.

No comments: